Thursday, September 4, 2008

Enjoyment

Jillian was coming down off her birthday high and had one of her crankiest days of all time today! She woke up on the wrong side of the bed and it was downhill from there. Needless to say, I was beyond eager to get her into bed tonight. As she took her bath I was hustling around the house spraying Lysol and trying to get things situated so that once she was in bed, I could just relax. I popped my head in to see if she was ready to get out - but she wasn't. So I started to rush off to continue doing who-knows-what (oh, I know - laundry, I am always doing laundry) when she gestured toward the toilet and hit me with..."Mom! Can't you just sit down and enjoy me?" Well goodness gracious. Who could turn down an offer like that? Especially since I hadn't "enjoyed" her all day long. So I plopped down and she told me about her mermaid and the magical, wish-granting cove under the sea. It was nice just to sit and be with her for a couple of minutes, I wish terribly it were longer, but somethings always comes up. When Brendan is in school, a few times a month Jillian, Karigan, and I have PJ days. Days that are spent in our PJs, doing whatever comes to our minds: dance, color, sing, paint, or sometimes a good cuddle and a book. Some may see this as slothful laziness because the rules are no cleaning, no errands, no phone calls, just the pure simple pleasure of my daughters' company and the fleeting chance to see the world through their eyes. We didn't have any of these days this summer, maybe once, but my memory is fuzzy, so it couldn't have been... And maybe, just maybe, Jillian has been missing these days. Goodness knows my mind has been consumed by more overwhelming matters than it is used too lately, but why is it so hard for me to just "sit down and enjoy" the little ones in my life that mean so much to me? I feel like I'm constantly rushing from one thing to the next and I never just stop and BE with them. My kids will be grown sooner than I might like. I need to "sit down and enjoy" them more. I have to remember tomorrow is not promised to anyone. The past doesn't come back and tomorrow may not come at all. Today is all we have. And so for the rest of my days and especially tomorrow, I will sit down and enjoy my kids. Or at least, I will really, really, REALLY try!

No comments: