I had a very interesting conversation with my younger sister again today. I don't know where to begin. I don't know the answers. I don't know how this happened. I don't know how to feel. I don't know when she lost her light. I don't know why she chose this. I don't know why she is so angry. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say to her, to my parents, to my family, to myself. This is what I do know. Addiction touches everyone. Addiction never goes away - it is transferred or replaced. Addiction hurts everyone not just the addict and the pain is often unbearable. Addiction is selfish. Addiction is thoughtless. Addiction is rogue. Addiction is ruthless. Addiction is deceit. Addiction is not cured; it is managed. Recovery is not about blame. Recovery doesn't allow excuses. Recovery requires honesty. Recovery demands self reflection. She has a greater probability of short term relapse than long term sobriety. She has to be honest. She has to want for better. She knows better. She has experienced better. She has a choice. She is strong. She can beat this.
No comments:
Post a Comment