Mark, the kids, and I went to see the new Disney/Pixar movie WALL-E. Talk about a movie whose subtle but poignant theme about the dangers of consumerism makes you want to get off your butt and do something. When I first saw this movie trailer, I knew I would be one of the first in line to see this tale of a little robot left behind on a deserted and trash-covered planet Earth. WALL-E is a curious, trash compacting robot who is forgotten on earth when humans leave. The visuals in this film, as we might expect of the Pixar folk, are amazing, particularly the opening 40 minutes or so when we see Wall-E travelling about a city emptied of its people, scooping up junk into his trash compactor body and forming it into neat, stackable skyscrapers of garbage. We quickly discover that this mostly voiceless little robot represents the best qualities of humanity: innocence, curiosity, diligence, compassion, and love. Throughout the film, WALL-E develops a love interest in another robot, Eve. A bot from the space station full of lackadaisical humans, the dove of Noah's Ark, sent to find any evidence of vegetation...And I won't spoil the ending for anyone else, but if you saw it, let us know what you think.
No comments:
Post a Comment