Friday, July 11, 2008

Croc Crazed

This weekend is Mark's member/guest tournament and by far the busiest week for him and his staff out of the entire year. Normally, it consists of four 20 hour days followed by 20 hours of sleep in one day just to catch up. The kids and I typically head back to OK for the week, but the thought of me and 3 children in the car for 14 plus hours broods anxiety from my toes up. So - we opted to stay home. Good thing because Mark had a minor shoe emergency. Who knew boys could have shoe emergencies? But I guess being at work, standing on your feet, aching in your heels, throbbing in your legs, shooting up your back, tensing in your shoulders, complaining in your thoughts constitutes an emergency - AS IT SHOULD! So the hunt for the most comfortable, safest in the kitchen, snazziest shoes began. Mark already had an idea of what he wanted, it was up to me to bring it to fruition. One of the line cooks had recently began sporting a pair of Froggz (croc knockoffs, I guess) and had been raving about every imaginable, fantastical thing about them ever since. I started by looking online - remembering that I needed something today, not in 3-5 business days. Things would have been a lot easier if I could have just had them shipped, but as my grandpa used to say, "nothing worth having is ever easy." We opted for the Bistro by crocs. It is specifically designed for the food service industry and is endorsed by Mario Batali. The problem: finding a pair within a 50 mile radius. I called 20-25 different retailers in the Columbus area. Nothing. The only thing comparable was the Professional series by crocs. And luckily a sporting goods store just received a new shipment and had several pairs in Mark's size. The kids and I load up--45 miles and 1 hour later we arrive at the store only to discover there weren't any available in Mark's size. Supposedly, they had already sold out. So on to the nearby mall. We checked out Journey's first, even though when I called I was told they didn't have any in stock. Lo and behold, I could see a pair of bistros from the door. Five minutes later we were on our way to Mark with shoes in tow, that is, until we were side tracked by a Crocs kiosk. We each picked out our favorite pair.
Can you match the shoe to the person in our family?
Then find a pair for yourself here.

No comments: