Saturday, June 14, 2008

Kids Say...

I have never really had one of those mommy moments where I wished I was a turtle and could just poke my head inside my shell and disappear, that is, until the other day at WalMart...
I was trying to get some last minute shopping completed for Karigan's birthday. Rushing through the aisles, I was pulling the kids along as they were struggling to keep a hold of the side of the basket. As we came upon the baby section, a gentleman was waiting for us to pass so he could enter. Then, out of nowhere, Jillian LOUDLY proclaims...
Look Mommy, that guy is a DORK.
What am I supposed to say to that? Where did she even hear that word (Russell Hale!!!) Anyway, a long diatribe in the middle of the grocery store about the rudeness of her statement was more than what was necessary because, honestly, she did not know nor understand the gravity of her statement. Instead, I managed to pull out some sort of Mommy wisdom that sounded a little like...
Jillian, just because someone looks differently than we do, doesn't mean he is a dork.
Perhaps, in this instance I should have said simply - just because one's body works differently than yours doesn't mean he is a dork - as he wheeled himself in behind us.

No comments: