The Things My Mom Has Taught Me
She taught me to keep my marriage a priority, that my children are a ‘product of’ my marriage, not a ‘factor in’ my marriage.
She taught me not to pray for what I want, only what I need, and never confuse the two.
She taught me to give until it hurts, to be true to myself and to love others for who they are not what they have.
She taught me that a sense of humor can get you through the darkest times in your life and bring sunshine when it seems as if the rain will never end.
She taught me the value of friendship, of listening and holding the tongue when it is almost impossible to keep silent.
She taught me to love God, to honor my family, and to love myself.
She taught me to stand up for myself and to defend others.
She taught me that a careless word cuts deeper than the sharpest sword and heals more slowly than any wound.
She taught me forgiveness is for everyone
She taught me to be proud of who I am NOW, not what I may or may not become.
She taught me to harvest my passions and take pride in my accomplishments.
She taught me that honesty is the essence of one’s own self respect and that though I may face consequences for what is true, I will lose my self respect for what is not.
She taught me that we are not all exactly the same but we are all in this together.
She taught me to love my country and to respect the law.
She taught me that I teach others how to treat me.
She taught me money is meant for enjoying but only after the bills are paid.
She taught me to look and, more importantly, to see the best in everything.
She taught me to think for myself but to leave plenty of room for the thoughts of others.
She taught me the value of keeping a home in order.
She taught me to keep things simple, most complications are self created.
She taught me to love books and music and history.
She taught me everyone has a story, even the man who cut me off on the freeway.
She taught me to use my imagination.
She taught me that while I reach for the most distant stars, I have to take joy in the stars I can see.
She taught me that I am exactly what I think I am, no more, no less.
She taught me to sing my own songs but to dance to the songs of others.
She taught me that what is said about me is not nearly as important as what I say about others.
She taught me when all else fails, family is always near.
She taught me unconditional love and how to be a mom myself.
Happy Birthday, Mom
I love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment